Friday, December 18, 2009

Charleston Fashion Week 2010 Model Casting


Each year there are countless fashion weeks held around the world. We have all heard of the fashion capitals that host biannual fashion weeks, New York City, London, Paris, and Milan. There are also fashion weeks that are held annually; annual fashion weeks in the United States include Miami, Los Angeles, and now Charleston, South Carolina.

On December 12th, Charleston Fashion Week held their second model casting call, of which I attended to try my luck yet again at being a CFW model. I walked in the 2009 shows for emerging designer Shan Keith and high-end retailer Berlins. At this year's casting, I had no expectations of precedence simply because of my success at the previous year's shows. I only wanted a chance to do what I love--to project optimism and passion with honest energy through modeling.

I was soon granted another opportunity to be in fashion week when Style Editor and CFW Creative Director Ayoka Lucas along with the other judges told me I made the cut! I also discovered that I will have a more visible role in this year's shows; I am thrilled and grateful for this and will reveal more in the coming year!

My casting call time was 10am and after the interviews, photos taken, and chatting with fellow models, I was finished around 11:30am. For those unaware of how model castings and the fashion/entertainment industries as a whole work, punctuality is crucial. Had I not arrived early, I may have not received such an outcome.

Note: Being fashionably late to a casting, interview, or other event where you are seeking advancement certainly will hinder your cause in the fashion/entertainment industries. Just a caveat for those readers who think the opposite is accepted.

Charleston has long been an arts and entertainment mecca in the south with its blend of traditional southern American, English, French, and West African cultural influences. Now the term fashion has become synonymous with Charleston and industry insiders foresee continued advancement of this industry in the area. CFW 2010 will be held March 16th through the 20th under the tents downtown at Marion Square.

Above is a photo I snapped of myself on my phone before my casting. I will keep you posted via this blog and my twitter account(www.twitter.com/TomasGlenn) on my involvement with CFW, from fittings to the final runway shows. Until then, check out the official Charleston Fashion Week 2010 website for the most recent fashion week updates(www.charlestonfashionweek.com).

No comments: